Friday, November 20, 2009

A Lady Of A Certain Age

Whenever I think of shapewear (think: girdles) I remember this scene from Steel Magnolias:
Truvy:Well, these thighs haven't gone out of the house without lycra on them sice I was 14.

Clairee: You were brought up right.


I was only 9 when the movie was released, but for some reason that scene stuck with me. You know how it is when you're young and watching a movie that dispenses advice on womanhood. You absorb every scene and store it for future reference. (Wait, maybe that's just me).
 
As I got older I realized that (at least in California) girls don't wear girdles. Teens don't wear girdles either (or pantyhose!)  In fact, young nubile hotties have no need for support garments. They have no need to worry about VPL (visible panty lines) or the jiggle exposed by a thong. Those worries are for much, much older women.
 
Well, that was then.  Because I'm here to tell you that either I've gotten old*, or the rules are changing (or haven't you heard). Even size fours are wearing the latest and greatest in shapewear (size 4s- didn't you hear?) Well, at least the celebrities are...
 
Shut, up. It's how I get through the day.
 
So I broke down and purchased my first Spanx.

 
See look, I told you skinny women wear them.
 
 
 
 
I'm a believer. These things are perfect with my new favorite jeans that cause mommy-muffin-top. They smooth me out under my new navy dress that is so very Mad Men. They substitute as panties- eliminating the VPL and the jiggle. And they do this all with a discrete crotch opening that allows for answering nature without emerging sweaty from the bathroom tug of war.
 
 
 
In fact, I love them so much... that I'm awaiting the chance to purchase its cousin:
 

 
Mama Spanx!
 
 
 
... Hey, you know you dream of the perfect "all baby" baby bump where the rest of you looks so svelte and so impossibly un-bloated.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
*Just stick with option 2
 
Stay sane,
Kris Cabe

No comments:

Post a Comment