Friday, November 20, 2009

Baby Carrying




First off, I KNOW many of you have your favorite baby carrier. There are many, in all shapes and sizes- to fit all lifestyles and phases of "crunchiness". Don't email, I get it. (Or maybe do email, but don't be too bossy- okay?)


To simplify things for those of you who are lost, I'm gonna break it down into my personal favorite methods of carrying baby- from birth to 40lbs! Ready? Go!


For tiny babies that love to snuggle and feel warmth- you can't beat the Moby. It allows you to wear your baby close to your body in a variety of ways. The fabric is soft and stretchy and all around you just feel like you could be one with nature while wearing it. See?





That said, you will be VERY one with nature if you try wearing this to your local Babies R Us... excuse me, I mean... uh- CO-OP. As in, the almost 10 yards of fabric will find every pebble, puddle and chewed gum piece on the sidewalk.


So, if you'd NOT like to introduce your newborn to every piece of bacteria in the parking lot. I highly recommend the tried and true Bjorn for the early months. My personal favorite is the Bjorn synergy- which offers lumbar support AND breathable fabric. It costs more but is so worth it in my opinion. Especially in the hotter months, or if you have a delicate back like I do.

Even this dad likes it. And the baby looks happy so it must be good. I should tell you now that all these photos are snatched shamelessly from their prospective websites. Yes, I'm breaking the law. But I'm giving them a plug- so I figure we're at least even.






Where was I? Oh yes- the Bjorn will serve you well until you reach about 17 lbs (which if you are my blessed son means approximately 2 months of age). Then you'll need to call in for reinforcements....


After months of searching- I have found it: The Ergo



As you can see from this picture, it allows you to carry the heavy not-quite-babies-but-still-my-baby on your back. Up to 40 lbs to be exact! I've even heard it's been lab tested up to 90lbs. But why anyone would carry a 12 year old is beyond me.


Anyway, it allows back carrying (yeah! Free hands!) or front. Both are comfy thanks to that hip belt that distributes the weight on your luscious child-bearing hips- and not on your tense shoulders!












In case you'd like more general information about babywearing at all- I recommend you go to here.  And I assure you, its not just for the crunchiest moms. Would I steer you wrong?


Stay sane,


Kris Cabe


keywords: babywearing, infant lead weaning, attachment, ergo, bjorn, beco, moby, parenting, mommy, mama, mom, motherhood, tips, tricks, strategies, time savers, parenthood

No comments:

Post a Comment